Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Feeding M

It is so hard to find information (and then make decisions) on how to feed a toddler (I can't believe I am calling M a toddler!)  I am overwhelmed with my lack of knowledge and the confusing information that I do find.  M just turned one and he has four teeth.  He eats VERY healthy, but I feel as though I have fallen into a food rut.  At the start of the year M was sent with the following food to school each day...

1 hard boiled organic egg
4 oz. homemade fruit (strawberry/banana/mango pouch or applesauce)
4 oz Stonyfield organic yogurt
1 Organic Valley cheese stick (sometimes string cheese, sometimes Colby jack)
5 oz. soup (Healthy Valley Organic Minestrone without salt or Chicken Rice without salt)
1/2 an avocado
a small snack cup of Plum Puffs or Annie's Cheddar Bunnies

From 8AM to 3PM he ate all of the above.  He did not care much for chicken or other meats so the big source of protein he got was the egg.

So, back to the drawing board I went.

I found a recipe for healthy spaghettios, made a batch, and he LOVED THEM!  Spaghetti-os were a winner!  He can't seem to get enough.  I used this RECIPE, but I did not add the butter or salt.  I also used the little letter noodles from the grocery store.  (M didn't seem to mind that they were not rings.) He also likes to eat Dr. Praeger's Spinach Littles and he ate a Dr. Praeger's fish stick the other day (but he seems to be inconsistent in eating chicken nuggets and fish sticks.) He has also recently eaten...
  • French toast (with a tiny bit of syrup spread on top)
  • Cream cheese and jam sandwich
  • Grilled cheese sandwich (with and without chicken/tuna)
  • Creamy tomato and spinach pasta (something I cooked for Eric and myself the other night)
  • Chicken pot pie (again, another meal I had made for dinner)
  • Sour cream noodle bake (see above)
  • Edamame (but I need to be more consistent in offering it)
  • Macaroni and cheese with sauteed spinach 
It's not that M is a fussy eater, I just don't really know what he can handle and what he can't in terms of his teeth or textures.  I would  just prefer to be making more for him or making meals and freezing them so I can avoid prepackaged food.  Even thought what I serve packaged (like the macaroni and cheese) is organic, I just want to be making as much for him as possible.  I also want to be able to make meals that we can all enjoy as a family.

Are there any ideas or foods that worked well for your little one?  Or meals you made for your family that a little one could eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment